Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Chocolate cake!

There is nothing better than chocolate cake, except maybe a chocolate cupcake. Thanks to Pamela's Luscious Chocolate Cake Mix, you can enjoy one of the best chocolate cupcakes you've ever eaten, GF or not. My husband, who is usually somewhat critical of my gluten-free creations (he is far better at the baking/cooking thing than I am), called a cupcake made from this mix "even better than regular cupcakes." I've seen this mix at both the Kroger on NC-54 in Durham and the Whole Foods on Wade Avenue. I have also tried Pamela's Classic Vanilla Cake Mix, and it is also delicious (but not quite as amazing as the chocolate).

These mixes are so good that you don't need frosting, which is a good thing, because it is difficult to find pre-made GF frosting. Even though some of the regular frosting brands don't list "wheat," they do contain modified food starch, and I have had bad reactions to both a Duncan Hines and a Pillsbury frosting that didn't list any gluten ingredients. Pamela's also has frosting mixes, so it is best to use one of those or make your own homemade frosting.

No comments: